Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chapter 3 - The Ballad Of Lark Chicane





 

I TRIED TO keep things as cool as I could, but I was frustrated without a car and having to hitch-hike to school on Olympic and Doheny. Sometimes friends would drive by in their new Mustangs and Camaros. On a few occasions Tony Sales and his girlfriend, Nancy, who drove a brand-new black Trans AM, would give me a ride to school. Now that I think about it, why would they be driving west on Olympic Blvd, when the Sales home was north of Santa Monica? Santa Monica Boulevard was the Mason-Dixon line of Beverly Hills. A dividing line between the affluent and the sort of affluent. The north won out on that one, too.

          Tony's dad was none other than Soupy Sales who I watched religiously on Saturday mornings in Jericho, New York. Rumor has it that he was fired from his show after telling the kids at home to go to their mommy's purses and take out those tens and twenties then mail in the cash to his home address.

          Nancy was a pretty, curly-headed blonde that looked a couple of years older than Tony. I don't know if many of you know but Tony, a few years later would play on Todd Rundgren's first album, Runt (1970). He and his younger brother, Hunt went on to play with Iggy Pop, David Bowie, and Tin Machine. When I went over to the Sales home a few months later, he played the record while I listened dumbstruck in the easy chair. I knew right away Todd Rundgren was going to a household name.   Wouldn't you know Nancy was Nancy Allen, who would later become a movie star and marry Brian De Palma in 1979. She set the standard for all future "bitch-goddess teenagers" as Chris Hargensen in Stephen King's "Carrie". I guess it's a shame they got divorced in 1984.

          It was August of 1969 I had my right arm in a sling. I can't remember why but it was probably from punching a door or a wall. I have anger issues that were negatively expressed to a much greater extent in those days. I had wandered over to Roxbury Park wearing a white cowboy shirt and bleached out jeans or cut-offs. There were a few people over by the swings and I noticed one of them was a pretty, round faced girl with dark blonde hair. She must have thought I was hurt and started talking to me, which was completely unintentional, but it turned out to be a pretty good ploy - sometimes you get lucky.  She said she had just moved here from Hawaii and was going to Beverly in the fall. That night Charles Manson and his gang set out on their murdering rampage in the hills of Benedict Canyon. I found out when we re-united that September, her father, John Floyd (Bud) Taylor was friends with Jay Sebring, one of the victims of that horrible night. It's ironic that seven years later Silverspoon would perform the Beatles songs for the movie "Helter Skelter" directed by Tom Gries.

          Bud Taylor was a total trip. He drove a black Porsche 911 and had a membership at the Candy Store on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, He was a mover and shaker all right and liked to have a good time, all the time. Debbie was not too keen on this kind of behavior from her father, but it didn't stop us from partaking in the joys and benefits of her father’s indiscretions. We went on houseboat trips on the Sacramento River where I forgot to let go of the rope on my first and last water-skiing adventure and suffered a sinus infection. I was usually the free entertainment, playing the baby grand piano at Bud's parties in that rustic condo in Westwood. Bud had a friend name Fred Beir who had written a screenplay about a western hero that saves a town with his six-guns but goes to town on Saturday night as a transvestite. It was called "Lark Chicane". I was given the opportunity to write the theme song. called "The Ballad of Lark Chicane", my first actual completed song, with words music and everything! The movie never sold, and the song never published but it was recorded by the band at the "Sunset Sound Sessions" which would prove to be a turning point in the lives of the band yet to be known as Silverspoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment