Monday, January 14, 2013

Chapter 30 - The Fifth Beatle, Bonnie and The Blow





BONNIE YARDUM WAS beautiful, like a rose, but there were thorns attached and you had to be careful not to get pricked. She was the receptionist at ASCAP when Stephen and I strolled in off the street wanting to set up a meeting. There was a girl with a beauty mark on her left cheek on the back cover of Leon Russell's Carney songbook eating some cotton candy. That was Bonnie. She also appeared in a film in 1975 with Dean Stockwell and Russ Tamblyn, Win, Place or Steal which also featured a small part by Johnny Haymer, my dad. Bonnie had two loves in her life, one was her standard poodle, Buffy, and the other was heroin. 

There were so many people we knew that were abusing drugs in those days and many of them are not around to tell about it; hey, it was the seventies. Even though Silverspoon had a reputation of being a druggie band, the nucleus, Stephen, Blair, and I were what one would call “normies”. Sure, there was pot around all the time and Stephen, and I had our fair share of joints or maybe some choice mushrooms once in a great while, and Blair, who never smoked, would dabble in this or that but it never ruled our day. We would never go out of our way to get high and escape, if anything we would do things to enhance our experience, which was usually music. Unfortunately, that wasn't what it was like for Joey. He took to the much harder stuff. He was one of these guys who could keep a straight face through any degree of intoxication. You would just never know if he was tripping his brains out or completely sober. He was a perfect match for Bonnie, although the thought of them together made my blood boil. They would hide out in her apartment on Westbourne, and I was jealous. I knew Bonnie had some terrible habits and I would be out of my mind to want that kind of thing in my life, but I cared for her deeply.

I think it was at a Halloween party at the end of 1975 Bonnie was hosting a nightclub on Rodeo drive called The Daisy. This was the party where Blair would meet his future squeeze, Christa Helm. Christa was an enterprising actress and wanted to get into the music biz. She started working on her record with Frankie Crocker, the former New York and Miami DJ, the man credited with coining the radio term “urban contemporary”. It would be later in '76 when Blair and Stephen would move into the “red house” on Fountain near Kings Road in West Hollywood. That place gave me the creeps. I stayed away from it not only because it felt dark and evil, but also because of the banal and nauseating music that was coming out of it. Bad vibes.

It was right after the party at the Daisy when I met Tommy. He used to hang out at a Chinese restaurant across the street from the Rainbow called Jimmy Wu's. Tommy looked exactly like Lee Marvin with a deviated septum from doing more than his fair share of cocaine. One night I was having dinner there with Bonnie when Tommy pulled up a chair. He said he recognized me as one of the guys hanging around Blair and Stephen at the Rainbow. I always thought I kept a low profile but apparently not. He was going on in a hyper rant about how he knew this guy and that guy and was a good friend of Billy Preston's, the keyboardist extraordinaire who played with the Beatles and had a couple of hit singles in the mid-70s. Tommy said Billy was going to appear at a party of a well-to-do friend’s house and we were all invited. 

The huge party in a mansion in Beverly Hills materialized because fortunately or unfortunately one of Silverspoons’s parents was out of town. So, we invaded the place and took control, or so we thought. There were all sorts of people invited, not your typical Rainbow crowd, no, these folks were the druggie types, the mafia dons with their diamond laced girlfriends. Big boobs, round assess co-mingling with greasy-haired pimped-out dudes. Then entered Billy with Tommy and the rest of his entourage. There he was, the so-called fifth Beatle, (although there were at least five or six other people who claimed this honor). Billy sat down at that Steinway grand in the living room. It was hard not to notice that monstrous wig on his head looking like it could have housed all sorts of unmentionable critters or vermin. I'd never seen so much cocaine in my life on the coffee table. It was spread out over a large silver platter that had to be at least fifteen inches in diameter. The coke peaked up in a mountain that crested like a miniature ski slope covering nearly half the platter. 

While tuning up my J-200 in the corner, I had convinced Blair (who was sitting with some gorgeous honey) to sit down at the piano and play. He was a little intimidated but held it together and played the keys with one of his idols, watching. He started into Flight of the Bumble Bee written by Nikolai Rimsky- Korsakov. He was playing it faster than I had ever heard, then Billy jumped up off the leather couch and began to play the high part. It was mind boggling. Blair was in piano heaven.

Joey got up from his perch at the bar and said, “Let's do some Spoon tunes”. I was shocked that he took the initiative to sing in front of all these people, but he was feeling good, real good. Stephen picked up his Martin D-28 and with Blair still at the keys we went into She Is The Woman. I saw Billy watching Blair’s fingers and he was smiling that little boy smile of his (the same smile so prevalent in the Let it Be, and later Get Back movies) I glanced at Bonnie who was now sitting with Tommy attempting to level off that mound of coke on the table. I knew I could never be with a girl like that, even though she was gorgeous and sweet and had great intentions, her habit would prove to be too overwhelming for me. It just didn't seem that we were a good fit, although she did appeal to my more rebellious nature, but good sense would win out in the end, at least in our case, which really wasn't the case at all. Infatuation, I believe, was what I would have called it.

Joey was on his game that night. He was hitting high notes in a full voice that were hard to sing in a falsetto and his pitch seemed perfect. The harmonies were tight, and the place was rocking especially when Billy sat back down at the keys and jammed with us. We were so caught up in the magic of the moment nobody realized that people were starting to wander. There were people milling about the rooms upstairs which a definite no-no, and it was starting to seem like another party was going to get out of control. At least I knew the walls were well insulated and the music was basically acoustic, so the police weren't going to show.

The next week we were invited up to Billy's horse ranch in Topanga Canyon where there was always something going on. That night Billy was playing the piano and there was this guy underneath playing with the pedals and drinking Old Grand Dad out of the bottle. Blair asked me if I knew who that drunk was and I said, “Yeah, it's Joe Cocker.” He somehow managed to crawl out from underneath his hiding place then he sat down on the piano bench next to Billy and sang a tipsy but heart-felt version of You Are So Beautiful. Then the parents of the Spoon where the party had been the week before came back from vacation.

To this date nobody knows, or at least I don't think anybody knows who had stolen almost a hundred-thousand dollars’ worth of jewelry and other fine things from that mansion at the party the week before. Was it set up by Tommy? I know Bonnie was a part-time junkie but in my heart I knew it wasn't her. It couldn't have been Billy because he was in plain sight the whole night. I can't say the same thing for his entourage though I dread in my darkest of thoughts to think that any member of the band or any people we knew from the scene were part of it. I don't remember if the police were ever called in because neither Stephen, Blair nor I were ever questioned about anything. I think the owners of the house were trying to keep their names out of the paper for political reasons because nothing was ever mentioned about it again, and after a few weeks it was forgotten. We still had stars in our eyes, but now people were creeping into our inner circles that were not the most savory of characters and it was going to be a showdown. Things were coming to an unsightly head and the bubble felt like it was about to burst.

Soon after that, Bonnie moved into Mediterranean Village and was hanging around some red-headed dude that sold smack. I did my best to try and talk her out of seeing this guy because I knew he was bad news. It was March 31, 1976. I remember walking by her apartment and blowing her a kiss as a wish to have a happy twenty-seventh birthday the next day. She never celebrated that day, overdosing on heroin probably around the time I blew her that kiss. What a shame and a terrible waste of a life. I still think about her often.

Things were changing in a negative way, and I had a suspicion it was that movie Helter Skelter that had jinxed things. I hoped to God I was wrong. I know now it wouldn't have prevented Bonnie from her fate, but there were too many variables tearing at the seams and getting in the way of where we wanted to go, at least where I wanted to go. 

 It was a few weeks later when Stephen and I had our blow up by the pool table and I would take out all my frustrations on a steel reinforced guitar case and then make my escape into the desert. In between the two events I would go back to the friendly confines of Oakhurst Drive at a time which would prove to be essential in my development as a human being. Life was happening all around me and it was all about me. Soon I would have to look it straight in the eye and deal with it on its own terms. It was time, as Stephen Stills so aptly put, “to do for the others”.

No comments:

Post a Comment