Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Life After Silverspoon - Chapter 1 - Say Goodbye to Hollywood


When Joey snuck out of the studio during the Last Autograph sessions he held Silverspoon for ransom, threatening it at gunpoint and when no money was offered in return, he fired his weapon where it slowly and painfully bled to death. He then threw it in a plywood box, hammered the last nail in the makeshift coffin and then buried it in his backyard.  Yes, Silverspoon was officially dead. I don’t blame Joey, it was not his fault, and he was only the last straw in a series of mishaps and disappointments which paved the road that started out as glory and promise but ended so potholed and twisted it was beyond the repair of any structural engineer’s capacity. Even though Stephen still held out hope of a rebirth, Larry and I knew it was a lost cause, the war was over and the white flag of surrender flew alongside the flag of our brotherhood which was waving at half mast.
I was upset and felt like I had wasted the best years of my musical life, but now it was time to pick myself up by my guitar stringed boots and carry on. I was tired of being a studio musician and wanted to experience what is was like to play for the people, the people who still went out to see a live performance, maybe buy a cassette or two, and pop it into their home or car stereo system. On September 30, Larry, Patricia and I went to the Forum to see the great and inexhaustible Bruce Springsteen and his E Street band. It changed mine and Larry’s life forever. The next night The Two Guys from Van Nuys was born and we played our first gig at The Sidewalk Cafe on the beach in Venice, California. I had my Gibson J-200 and Larry had a Wurlitzer electric piano, but I think he only used the upright and out of tune piano supplied by the restaurant’s establishment.
We did songs like Cat Stevens’ Wild World and Bob Dylan’s Just Like a Woman, and sparsely throwing in some of our originals which was discouraged by the management. I was still working at Central Supply in the valley, waking up at five in the morning, so I had to limit the time spent at night, drinking, smoking, coking and generally carrying on. As I said before in my last blog, Patricia was a godsend. She had asked her father, who ran a music store in Baltimore to send me harmonicas, strings and whatnot, all for free. She was still Larry’s old lady at the time and I felt bad for her knowing their relationship was like a sinking ship. I could see the holes in that vessel but was powerless, at the time, to do anything about it. Larry was my partner and I was a loyal and naive participant in that partnership. I also felt bad that we were playing in Venice, not more than a mile away from where Stephen lived with Portia, but he was too proud and pissed off at us for not including him in our musical endeavor. But Stephen was a studio guy and Larry had the live experience and it came down to a choice between the two of them. I chose the latter and now I wonder if I made the right choice, but unfortunately I don’t have a time machine at my disposal so the past is the past and will remain that way. It’s the present that I must deal with now, but looking back to what got me here is a worthwhile task.
I had a friend at Central Supply when it was in Hollywood named Stephen Paul who I talked about before. He had a friend who was a genius at vocals and production by the name of Curt Boettcher who lived at the Oakwood apartments in Burbank. Whenever I was bored on the hot summer days, I would sometimes stop by and see Curt lounging by the swimming pool at Oakwood. He got a kick out of me and said I was the only writer he knew that picked subjects that nobody else wrote about. He loved the song Old Timer, written by myself and Larry, about an old man living in a retirement home reflecting on his youth while his children and grandchildren only visit him out of guilt on Sundays. Another song we penned called Vagabond was a three part verse that depicted three different types of vagabonds in three separate voices: I’m a vagabond, he’s a vagabond, and we’re all vagabonds. I still think it’s a great tune and Dave Mason thought so too when he recorded it later that year. There was one song of ours that Curt could never get out of his head—Running Around the World. Later that year he was hired to produce Mike Love’s solo record he thought about that song and called me to ask if he could have Mike sing it on the record. I waited a beat and said, “What are you kidding? Of course he can record the tune!” The original demo was one of the songs I recorded at my Electra Records experience in 1979 and it had a straight four/ four rock and roll feel. Curt thought it would be better in a shuffle kind of like Help Me Rhonda. Who was I to argue about something as minor as that and Larry said “I don’t care if they make it sound like Liberace (Larry’s alter ego) with his hair on fire, as long as it gets cut.”  It did get cut and was market tested as being a top five record by a company that does that kind of thing.
A month or two later, Mike was doing a gig in the valley at some large club and we were told he was going to perform our song live. We asked Curt if we could be on the guest list and he said he would clear it with Mike. We never heard back from him and time was running out so we headed out to the club thinking we most likely would be on the list. When we got to the ticket booth we asked the girl behind the leaded glass if out names were on the list. They weren’t. We had to shell out $17.50 to hear our own song being played. That was a lot of money back then, especially for a couple of starving musicians. It was still a thrill I will never forget when they went into that shuffle intro and we heard one of our songs being played to an audience of over a thousand appreciative people. I felt that we were on our way to the big time, so did Larry.
I was still living on Highland Avenue north of Franklin and across the street from Chas when BJ showed up saying he was looking for an apartment to rent in the area. It was an old Hollywood mansion that had been subdivided into four separate dwellings. I lived in the northwest corner and next to me was a Latino gent named Luis who had a Doberman Pincher called Sasha, Sadie, or something of that ilk. She was good company for my dog Bridget Bardog when we would take them across the street to the large park which was behind one of the Hollywood Bowl parking areas. BJ expressed an interest in the room in the back that was in shambles. He told the landlord he would help fix the place up if he reduced the rent. As I said before BJ, who could sell sand to a camel, had convinced the landlord that he would do a crack-up job and he moved in with his accomplice, Walter Hallanan, the BJ look-alike.
BJ had become friends with Carrie and Francie the fancy equestrian (we later wrote that song together about Francie) and he got into the drugs big-time. He was losing weight and losing all of his scruples, which he didn’t have much of in the first place. He was selling everything he owned to stay afloat and he even stole Carrie’s small television set that she kept in her apartment beneath her childhood home occupied by her mother and sold that, too. He was incorrigible but was still convinced that his demos, the ones he recorded at the Record Plant with Michael B. behind the console were destined to become classics. They were good, but I still don’t think that justified his criminal behavior.
After Patricia moved out after the “rat incident” and into the apartment with her warlock husband to be which eventually led to their sad demise, there was an event to occur which I don’t think I can ever forgive BJ for. I was going to New York for a couple of weeks to hang out with Larry, his Robin and Martine and try to get a little playing and exposure in the Big Apple as the Two Guys from Van Nuys. I left BJ in charge of my apartment and the love of my life, Bridget Bardog. I knew he wouldn’t know how much to feed her so I bought twelve large cans of dog food and gave him explicit instructions on how much and when to feed her, when to walk her and so on. When I came back from my trip I noticed that Bridget was looking awfully thin and asked BJ if he had been feeding her like I had instructed him to. I looked in the cupboard and saw that all the cans of dog food were gone, so I was scared that she might be sick. I called the vet and made an appointment and he told me she was not sick but was extremely malnourished from being underfed and dehydrated. I asked BJ again if he had fed her and he swore up and down that he had. I found out later from Luis that BJ was selling him the dog food in exchange for cigarette money. I was appalled and livid. The next week I moved out of that apartment and got a place in Venice by myself on Washington Way. I left BJ there to fend for himself and hoped that I never would cross his lying, deceitful path again. You can mess with me to a point, but whatever you do, don’t mess with my dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment