Monday, February 3, 2014

Chapter 23 – Looking Forward to Going Back



 I felt lost and in need of direction. After the ordeal with my broken ankle that led to my abuse of drugs and alcohol which resulted in a car accident and jail, I knew it was time to do some soul searching and trace the roots of my life. Maybe I would find some answers—maybe not, but it was worth a try, plus, I had nothing better to do besides stare out of the bedroom window at my once beautiful sports car now in twisted, metallic shreds serving as a constant reminder of the dreadful mistake I had made.
I booked a flight to New York and made plans to stay with my parent’s long time friends, the Meltzer’s again. It was a beautiful March day in 1988, clear and cool, so I decided to take a walk. First I headed up the west side and when I got to 96th and Amsterdam I saw a “Psychic Reader” sign on the second floor window. I walked up the staircase and buzzed the hand written psychic reader’s button. Less than a minute later a voice that sounded like sandpaper rubbing against an iron skillet wafted through the two inch speaker by the door. “Yes?” the voice shrieked. “I came for a reading,” I said noncommittally. She answered, “Go to 33rd and Madison.”
I didn’t think too much about it since I really wasn’t sure I wanted to spend a whole lot of money on a reading in New York where it cost almost ten bucks for a couple slices of pizza, the best pizza in the world, mind you. I found myself walking south and before I knew it I was nearing the Empire State Building, which was very near the place where that scratchy voice told me to go. I walked to the designated spot and saw the same sign in the window I had seen a couple of hours earlier. I rang the buzzer and the same voice answered. “Yes,” to which I replied the same answer. “Was this the same woman, and if so, how did she get here so fast?” I thought to myself as I was being buzzed in. I pulled myself up the stairs to apartment 1A and knocked on the red door that was ornamented with Egyptian symbols and a wooden cross. I could see a clouded eye looking at me through the peephole. I was let in. She was ancient, about ninety or so with long, thin gray hair tied back in a pony tail. She told me her name was Mama and she spoke with a thick Eastern European accent. I was invited into her kitchen and sat down on a wrought iron chair facing her. She took out an Aquarian deck of Tarot cards then lit a red candle and I noticed the flame was slanting to the left. I told her a little about myself and shy I had come to New York.
“I see you have two dark spirits that have been following you for some time now.” she said. “Do you ever notice that in your music you have a little success and then it all falls apart after awhile?” I nodded my head in agreement. “In your love life, you get together with a girl and then it also falls apart after a year or two. Am I right?” I was taken in by her accuracy even though I knew all about the parlor games psychics play, but this woman was different. She seemed totally authentic being half Romanian—the other half Iroquois Indian. “Here’s I want you to do. Tonight I want you to take a carton of eggs and put them under your bed when you sleep. Tomorrow morning at ten, I want you to come back here and bring the eggs. Can you do that?”
 I said I would and asked her how much I owed her for the reading. She said not to worry about it today and I could pay her twenty dollars after the reading tomorrow. That night I slept with the carton of eggs I bought at the deli earlier in the day. I was glad the bed had legs since it would have been awkward to sleep with the eggs under my pillow and I knew they wouldn’t have survived the night stuffed between the mattress and the floor. Back at 33rd and Madison I entered her apartment with the carton of eggs tucked firmly but gently under my arm then sat back down on the same iron chair in the kitchen. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how she did it. I didn’t see her get up from the table except to get a bowl from the cabinet watching her every move like a hawk. She placed the bowl on the table and cracked open the first egg. I could feel my hair standing up on the back of my neck as I looked down into the bowl. The yoke was jet black. She took another egg and it also was black. She then cracked open a few more and they were normal, as yellow as the sun that peeked through the kitchen window. “The two black yokes represent those two evil spirits that have attached themselves to you aura,” she said. I was flabbergasted. It was a shock and I then wondered how she was going to help me since I had to fly back to Los Angeles the next day. She told me not to worry because she had a daughter, Paula, in Van Nuys, California, who was also a psychic. “Is that very far from you?’ she asked. I told her it was relatively close.
 When I got back to L.A., I contacted Paula. She was a little ball of fire, about five feet tall in heels, with a round Slavic face and a Romanian accent kind of like her mother’s. I would drive my mom’s Mercedes over to her house in Van Nuys once a week and she would lead me into a small room in the back of her corner house on a modest neighborhood. There were pictures of what I assumed was her family on the walls right beside paintings of Jesus looking like a gypsy. I figured she was a Christian even if she dabbled in the Tarot and the occult.
 Paula would sit me down in this eight by eight room, light a few candles then take my hand a pray to her Lord and Savior, then a prayer for my career and my love life. At this point, I was more interested in love. I was a bit skeptical at first, hoping I wouldn’t have to burn another thousand bucks. I wasn’t about to do that again, I already felt stupid enough for doing that in New York the previous month. Then the Tarot readings would start and I began to realize that she was a gifted and insightful psychic, like her mother. She said I was going to meet a pretty blonde girl with a round face and blue eyes. In the meantime I had to find a new car.
My maroon TR-6 looked so pathetic parked in front of my parent’s house on Canton Drive with its nose all busted up like Rocky Balboa after his fight with Drago. I had plenty of time on my hand –time to heal, time to learn something new. I had a wreck of a car with a solid engine and transmission. Then it hit me. Why not find a TR-6 with a good, straight body and a blown engine? I could swap them out down at Richard’s and I think he would be more than cool about it. I called him and he said, Sure Jimmy, if you find a decent TR, you can use a space in the front, and if you need any help or you get stuck with anything, if I’m not too busy, I’ll help. Why don’t you call Paul? He’s got a lot of contacts with English cars.”
Richard Boyd was a gold mine of knowledge, and one of the nicest people you’d ever want to meet. His shop was in a little strip mall with a tire shop, another domestic mechanic’s garage, a body and paint shop and little Mexican mini-mart / restaurant. I could park my two Triumphs side by side near where Richard stored some of his other projects—the ones he hadn’t quite had time or energy to get around to fixing yet. The wheels were in motion.
I scoured the Recycler for what I needed and Paul checked the ads in Hemmings. Between the two of us I knew we’d find something. I really didn’t want to spend much more than $500 and that was a reasonable amount of money to spend on a TR-6 with a blown motor. Nowadays finding a wreck like what I was looking for would cost ten times as much.
I found one for $650 in the Recycler. It was a 1973 model with chrome bumpers and the body was perfect and even the top and interior were more than decent. All the engines in the Tr-6 from 1969 through 1976 were interchangeable so there was no problem in swapping them out. The only thing was—I had never done anything like that in my life. Paul helped me tow the two Triumphs over to Richard’s and I got to work. I removed all the wires, hoses, nuts and bolts and finally pulled the old engine from my maroon TR with an engine hoist then did the same with the ’73. It was hard, greasy work, but with Richard and Paul’s help it only took a couple of hours. I spent over a week, detailing the engine compartment and painting it black, installing the new engine and reconnecting everything. All that was left to do now was turn the key. I held my breath as I entered the cockpit and sat down in the driver’s seat. I said a little prayer to the gods of foreign sports cars and then—it started up. Yes! I had done it!
The summer was in full gear and it felt great to have a convertible again. I would still drive out to Van Nuys and get readings from Paula and slip her a twenty for her work and she would give me a candle to burn at home. I was starting to lose faith in her abilities since it had been over four months and I hadn’t met anyone promising. Then, on the Fourth of July of that same year, I got a call from Paula. “You have to get out of the house today. You are going to meet her.”
     “Her?”
“Yes her— the blonde with the blue eyes and round face.”



No comments:

Post a Comment