Monday, September 8, 2014

Chapter 51 – Damned Yankees and the Millennium Quaich



While relaxing in my office with my feet up on the desk I thought about what possessed me to want to write a Faustian golf screenplay in the first place. I thought about getting back into the music now that I had put the script away in that drawer but I hadn’t written a song in months.
I thought about the trip I had taken with my father to Wallingford, Connecticut in 1963. He was playing the role of Applegate (the Devil) in the musical, Damned Yankees in the theatre-in-the-round circuit along the eastern seaboard of the United States. I was in seventh heaven, just me and my dad and a cast and crew that consisted of starlets and baseball players. What more could an eleven year old kid want? It gets better.
Not only were we staying at a Tally-Ho motel with the cast and crew, there was a baseball field in the back with a real pitcher’s mound and machine rolled foul lines in pristine white chalk. The baseball players in the show all had Spalding Whitey Ford signature model baseball gloves and in the early afternoon, after they had their noon-time cup of coffee, someone decided to play a pick-up game on the field. I was so excited they included me in their festivities I almost forgot to get my glove from my dad. He didn’t play that afternoon; instead he was the home plate umpire, a job more suited to his demonstrative personality. He let me borrow his glove and I took my position as the starting second baseman for the Yankees against the Senators. I got three hits (I’m not sure the pitcher was throwing goose-eggs but I still managed to smack them into center field). I also threw a few of the opponents out at first and made a diving catch over the bag in the middle of the diamond. The shortstop came over and tousled my hair saying. “Way to go, kid.” I was one of the proudest moments in my life.
That night was the opening of the show and I got to hang out backstage watching my amazingly talented father in his red shirt underneath a black suit play the part of the nefarious Mr. Applegate. Not only was a treated like an equal, I was coming on like gangbusters to the statuesque showgirls who thought I was so damned cute. I didn’t care if they thought of me as harmless, in my mind I was planning to have an illicit time with them (even though I wasn’t quite sure what illicit meant or how I was to go about consummating any kind of serious romance). It didn’t matter—they were gorgeous and were paying attention to me.
After the show, my father and some of the cast went to a diner where they served them gin in coffee cups so if raided, it would look like they were all having a harmless cup of java. I was a little confused by it all but didn’t question anything. I was on a natural high—baseball, broads and showbiz. It goes without saying that day influenced me greatly. No wonder I ended up writing a story that was golf’s version of Damned Yankees.
Of course that show was a major influence and thirty-six years later working at Nashville Golf and Athletic for Mr. Whittemore proved to be a culmination of that story. I knew I had something special. My father was an actor who played a little golf and in Mulligan’s Tour his character, Johnny Mulligan, was the opposite—a golfer who did a little acting. But there was some other incident that rekindled my love of golf—The Millennium Quaich.

In 2000, five Haymer’s went on our fourth or fifth trip over to Scotland. In the old days, my drinking days, single-malt scotch was my favorite drink bar none. My brother-in-law, Roy, had organized a golf tournament called the Silver Quaich; a tribute to Bonnie Prince Charlie’s throwing the silver goblet into the Firth of Forth in defiance of English rule. It was the second time I was to participate in the tournament. Three years earlier, in 1997, (leaderboard pictured) I had come in 6th place. I was the lone American out of twenty-five Scottish golfers.

 Now the Quaich was taking place in Pitlochry, the same place where I proposed to Donna twelve years earlier. I was excited and in dread about playing with these same twenty-five Scottish blokes since the winner was supposed to drink a dram of whiskey from the traditional representation of the famed silver chalice. What if I won? Would I be tempted to drink? I didn’t want to purposely lose but I also didn’t want to get into a situation where I would feel obligated to perform the ancient rite.
Again, twenty-five Scottish golfers and I boarded the hired bus from Glenrothes to Pitlochry because after the two rounds of golf a lot of celebrating was going to take place and the golfers would be too drunk to drive home. A good, sensible idea. I remembered in ’97 I was bleeding drunk and could hardly make it in my in-laws front door without falling down. But now I was sober and I was sure I was going to be the only one who was after the tournament concluded.
Paired with big John Holmes and Ian McShane for the first round, I knew I was in pleasant company. John was a hulking Scotsman with fiery red hair and a large thirst for Murphy’s stout which he proceeded to devour after each hole. He was pissed as a skunk and his score reflected his inebriation. But, at least, he was a charming and hilarious drunk. Ian, a man in his late fifties, was playing it straight. In fact when he saw that I was contending in the tournament, he was more like a cheerleader giving me the confidence and inside information on how to approach the course. He was a godsend. I entered the clubhouse after the first round with a 79 and was in third place.
In the afternoon round I was fortunate enough to be playing alongside Ian and John again. By this time John had sobered up a bit and managed to keep the ball on the proper fairway. Ian was out of the running with his first round 96 so he concentrated on my game more than his own. When I was in the rough on the first hole he said, “C’mon Jamie, tak yer seven iron and knock it doon.” When I did as he said, I managed to cozy the ball up between the pot bunkers and the ball came to rest ten below the pin. Scottish courses are much different that American ones where instead of everything rolling toward the center the fairways and greens, they seem to slant to the roughs. I mean you could hit what you thought was the best shot in the world and still end up out of bounds. And the roughs? They’re nearly impossible to escape from. You have to muscle your way out.
While Big John and Ian bogied and double bogied their way through the next five holes, I had parred them all. I was one under par. Now at the highest elevation on the course, the view of the ancient castle in town was breathtaking. It was also the most difficult part of the course. I bogied seven and eight but birdied nine and had racked up a decent 39 after the outward nine.
The back nine was a series of dog-legs that I somehow managed to survey without too much difficulty. I guess between Ian’s coaching and my prior knowledge from the first round I came into the clubhouse with a 77— 39 on the front and 38 on the back. With only three golfers left out on the course I was in first place. My brother-in-law, Roy and the other mates were slapping me on the back congratulating me for having the tournament sewn up. Their only regret was having to hand the Quaich over to a Yank. I told them it wasn’t over yet since Stevie Robertson, and Alan Tait, two of the top golfers were still out on the course. My insides were churning like butter. I was hoping that Stevie or Alan would have a great showing. Second place would be fine and the prize was a Lyle and Scott sweater. I could handle that.
Alan had a tough second round and came into the clubhouse worn and weary. But not Stevie Robertson. He shot a 76 and had beaten me by one stroke. I came in second and, much to my relief got the gray sweater. At least I didn’t have to break my sobriety and the Scotsmen didn’t have to relinquish the Quaich to a Yank. “All’s well that ends well.” Shakespeare said that. “I’d rather have a Lyle and Scott sweater than a Quaich full of Glenfiddich single-malt scotch.” I said that.


No comments:

Post a Comment