Monday, December 22, 2014

Chapter 63 – Out To Pasture

          


While Donna was going through her bi-weekly bouts with chemotherapy and radiation treatments we had lost another member of the family—one of our three dogs, Bailey. We weren’t exactly sure how old he was, but he must have been at least fifteen since we had found him (on Bailey Road) a year or two after we had moved to Middle Tennessee. Bailey was a great dog, very independent and one of the smartest dogs I had ever had the privilege of living with. We never had him “fixed”, therefore, he used to wander from time to time. Sometimes he would be gone a week or ten days before we would hear his claws scratching on the side door to come inside. Bailey was a reddish-brown miniature Golden Retriever mix weighing in at about twenty-five pounds. He must have been part collie too, having strands of black hair running down the sides of his long floppy ears.
After having lost Bridget and Ginger a few years back, Bailey was the first of the Tennessee dogs we had to say goodbye to. It was the morning of July 26th 2010. Now there is some discrepancy of the date because Donna remembers it differently. I was getting ready to take the boys somewhere that morning. Donna thought it was school, but it was the middle of summer so it must have been the Kids on Stage camp. I have always been pretty good with dates and I remember it was Mick Jagger’s birthday. Nevertheless, Bailey was struggling and we knew he wouldn’t last long. The night before he was moaning and whimpering so badly I had to give him a Tylenol with codeine to pacify him. It seemed to help, but we were up most of the night trying to comfort the dog and planned on taking him to Dr. Woody’s in the morning as soon as I got back from taking the boys to camp. Donna said it happened while I was starting up the car. By the time I had gotten back he was gone. Now the surviving animals were Bruno, the black lab, Mowgli, the black cat, Josie, the tortoise shell and calico mixed cat, and Piper, the Cairn terrier I had found the year before.

One morning before the cancer took hold while Donna was at work and the kids were in school, I saw something out in the yard crawling through the high grass. I squinted up my eyes to see what in the world it was. At first I thought it was an injured rabbit or cat but as I ventured closer I saw it was a small dog with thick white hair that looked like Toto from the Wizard of Oz. I puckered my lips and called her over and watched the dog inch its way toward me. I could see the dog had been out in the wilderness of Thompson Station for quite some time by the tangled and matted hair, but she didn’t look starved, in fact she was a bit plump. I coaxed her into the house and gave her a drink of water and some dry food which she went after ravenously. I called Donna to tell her I had found what I thought was a purebred and her first reaction was, “Oh no, not another one.” I told her she was probably lost and would go around to the neighbor’s houses and inquire if they had lost a wee doggie. After exhausting my search without any luck, I decided to put up a few signs.
When Donna and the boys came home, they saw the wee dog which I had named Piper and were enchanted, even loved the name. I noticed that Piper had a wide gap between her nostrils and thought she might have a cleft palate. On further inspection I saw there was a pinpoint hole there like a third nostril. Very unique. I also had the sneaking suspicion, because of her bulging tummy and swollen nipples, she was pregnant. After taking her in to Dr. Woody’s, my suspicions were confirmed—she was pregnant. He said it was too late for an abortion and would be having the puppies shortly. I constructed a birthing box from an old TV carton and put blankets and pillows inside of it.
One morning I came down to check on her and she was in the process of giving birth. The puppy was half-way out of her and didn’t seem to be coming out. When she finally released the poor puppy, it was still born. I didn’t know what to do, but thought she might have more to come. It was obvious that the still born puppy and been much too big and I figured Piper had mated with a much larger dog than she was. I called Dr. Woody and left a message. When he called me back, I told him what was going on and he said to bring her in immediately. Of course it was a Sunday. They did an emergency C-section to remove the remaining puppy and sadly that one was also dead. The bill came to over $900. We rationalized it by saying it would have cost that much to buy a purebred Cairn terrier. Poor Piper was now the newest addition to the Haymer household since nobody else had claimed her. One of the saddest and most pathetic sights I had ever witnessed in my life, was when Piper had befriended a toy doggie about the same size as one of her lost babies. She would snuggle up to that little white toy dog with the brown spots and pretend to nurse it. It never left her sight. I guess it helped her through the mourning and grieving process.
Now it was time to bury Bailey. There wasn’t room in the backyard pet cemetery behind the patio fence anymore so we had to start a new one. There was a small area next to my putting green more than a hundred yards from the side door of the house that seemed right. I dug a hole in the clearing between two trees and covered him up with some sand and peat moss. I made a sign from some scrap wood and painted an inscription. After surrounding the grave with fieldstones I place the sign close to where his head was and we all said goodbye to Bailey. As I am writing this, sadly to say, four other animals have joined Bailey in that pet cemetery.
On a lighter note, before Bailey’s illness, I had seen a sign posted that two softball leagues were starting up. One was a men’ team and the other a co-ed. I wondered, at the age of fifty-eight, if I could still manage to play the game I had loved so much as a kid, a young adult and a thirty-something. The last time I had played the game, I had broken my ankle sliding into home plate on Labor Day in 1987. Yes, I was safe but was out of commission for months. But now I was the oldest player on the team, or the next oldest as most of the players on the men’s team were in their late twenties or early thirties, but I surprised myself at how easily I was able to move around the bases. Although I couldn’t bend down as low for those hot ground balls to second, I made only one or two errors the whole season. The format was slow pitch where the ball had to sail an arc between six and twelve feet high. I alternated between playing second base and pitcher, the same two positions I used to play in Little League when I was a kid. One of my best pitches back then was a knuckleball and I thought I could dust off the cobwebs on that pitch and see if it would translate to underhand. I remembered the time when I used to employ that pitch back in the old days I had a tell. When I used to dig my fingernails into the seams of that ball I would inadvertently bite my lower lip. The batters, after a while, had seen that tell too, and would know what pitch was coming and wait on it like it was a giftwrapped birthday present. My catcher approached the mound and told me what I was doing. After that I would purposely bite my lip and then throw the fastball. It worked like a charm. Now, to my surprise as a gripped the seams and let go a floater, I saw that I still had it. I was amazed that, even in slow pitch, I was able to strike out a few of the weaker players.
The next year, at fifty-nine, I was going to give it another go. My goal that year was to get through the season without an injury. I ended up on the blue team where I was at least twenty, maybe even thirty years older than most of the team except for Coach Tom, who was the pastor at the Thompson Station Baptist Church. Over the years, I had watched the church transform from a quaint one story building into a “megachurch” with three or four outbuildings as big as a WalMart. I was mildly upset that I didn’t get to pitch that year since Pastor Tom did most of the pitching. That really didn’t bother me as much as what happened after every game. All the players would line up on the pitcher’s mound, take off their hats and say a prayer to Jesus. I guess I could think of worse things to do after a game, but still I felt uncomfortable. Who was I kidding? I was living in rural Middle Tennessee where there are more churches per square mile than gas stations, markets, golf courses, swimming pools and restaurants combined. The closest Jewish synagogue was thirty miles away.
 One evening, one of the players requested a special prayer for the brother of one of the players that was struggling with alcoholism. The team all held hands, closed their eyes and prayed that this individual would see the light and Jesus would take away his desire to drink. I remembered how, when I and some of my friends had problems with the drink, we would go to an AA meeting and work the twelve-step program. I thought I would suggest this to the players so I spoke up saying, “Excuse me but, in addition to praying, has the guys ever thought of going to an AA meeting? It seems to work for a lot of people.” Twenty pairs of eyes looked at me like I was the anti-Christ. I felt the top of my head wondering if I had grown horns. The guy next to me poked me with an elbow and said, “Don’t be rude.”
“Rude? I was only saying that AA is not such a bad idea.” I knew I was speaking to deaf ears, so I bit the bullet and waited for the prayer to conclude. What planet was I on? I, as everyone who knows me well knows, have nothing against Jesus, but to assume that all people on earth have the same beliefs as you is a misnomer. They acted as if AA was a cult and was diametrically opposed to Christianity; after all most of the steps in the 12 step program talk about a higher power. The small-mindedness of these folks astounded me. Well, our team ended up winning the division, but that night after that prayer meeting, I had decided to hang up my cleats. At least I had made it through the season without an injury, which was my goal. I was getting into golf again anyway, and thought about getting a job at Forrest Crossing as an ambassador where by working one day a week you could get free golf. I was already playing two or three times a week with my newest and best golfing buddy, Sunset Slim. But it was costing too much. If I got that ambassador job, think of all the money I would save! I went down there that fall but they said they were full up and would probably be hiring again in the spring. I didn’t get the job in the spring, but I would get eventually be hired the following year. But that’s a whole ‘nother story.


No comments:

Post a Comment