Monday, April 1, 2013

Chapter 41 - You Can Call Me Al





THERE WAS A recording session at Larrabee Studios which was being produced by Al Schwartz, a wannabe music aficionado who lived across the street from the Red House on Kings Road. He was a no nonsense craggy faced, bald dude with a take no prisoners attitude that demanded respect — this is what Silverspoon desperately needed. We were still under contract with Larry Gordon, and we were trying our best to get out of it. Al was trying to help in that area, but Larry was being obstinate ever since we decided to leave his imperial domain in favor of Mal. He and Mal had a split because Larry's partner, Jim Nash, had him convinced that Mal was only a figurehead not being able to produce his way out of a paper bag. Nevertheless, Al felt confident that Larry was a non-issue, and we were heading into the studio anyway.

Three songs were picked, Everything's Gonna Be FineCornerstone and Give Me Back That Love, all three of which I had penned. While Stephen and Blair. were busy going through their traumas, I was going through some of my own. The only difference was instead of hanging out at the Rainbow or chasing alcohol, drugs, or pussy, I would write songs. By this time, I had compiled a list of songs that numbered almost 600. I wish I still had that list but alas it was lost over the many moves I made while living in LA. I made a list of that as well and came up with thirty-three different apartments and houses from birth until 1979. I am happy to say now that I am not quite the gypsy I was back then.

Joey was out of the band now, but Jon Marr was back in and was designated to sing lead vocal on Cornerstone, a song I had written while I was living with Debbie Taylor on McCadden Street in 1971. Al had a nephew named Evan who was slated to play drums but as usual Blair. thought he wasn't cutting the mustard, neither did the rest of us for that matter and Al got Beau Segal to replace him. He had a bass player, Chuck Fiore, who he worked with on earlier sessions, but was out of town so instead Peter Freiberger filled in. These guys were professional musicians with a capital P, and it felt awesome to finally be playing with LA's best. A few years later Chuck and Beau would go on to produce and play on my Electra Records demo in 1979 and I would reacquaint with Peter in Nashville when we both had an interest in playing the pedal steel guitar, probably one of the toughest string instruments there is on the planet.

These sessions went on without much of a hitch and Al did his best trying to promote them to a few of the top record companies in LA— unfortunately without success. He started to lose interest in us, not only because we were constantly bickering over nonsense, women, Stephen showing up late for rehearsals or not showing up at all and Blair could never decide on arrangements or musical parts. I was getting a bit cynical which I'm sure didn't help matters either. Al was now focusing his attention on screenwriting and was working with Jon Voight on a project that later would be sold and released in 1982 called Looking To Get Out starring Mr. Voight and Ann-Margaret. After a few months of this, Al had had enough and gave us the boot; at least we had to tapes to try and do something with and there were plenty of people, or at least we thought, who would pick up the slack. Stephen and Blair. had moved into the Red House to collaborate with the disco queens, Patty and Christa and Robin Stewart and I moved to Detroit Street near La Brea and 6th Street that October.

After quitting my job with the Hungarians, I got a job at Mr. Coney Island across the street from the La Brea Tar Pits slinging New York style hot dogs for ninety dollars a week while Robin tried to get work as a back-up singer while working temp job as a secretary. I will never forget the acrid smell of grease and smoke that clung to all my clothes and was impossible to wash out. The place on Detroit was a large one bedroom with wooden floors but the neighborhood was a bit funky and far away from where things were happening especially without a car. It only took me half an hour to walk to work and that seemed to be my life, work then coming home and drinking beer with the neighbor across the hall, a guy named Walter Ferguson who was an aspiring actor that looked a cross between Jack Lemon and Buddy Holly. My best friend was this feral cat I called The General because he had half of his left ear missing probably from a fight with a rival alley-cat. He was tough as nails, and I could only imagine how the other cat looked. The landlady, Mrs. Lambert, was this real piece of work who reminded me of Mrs. Peenman, the landlady from the movie, The Mask with Jim Carrey, and I couldn't wait to move out of that place and dreamed of the day we could own our own home; a pipe dream that wouldn't come true until 1991 and it wouldn't be with Robin.

No comments:

Post a Comment