Monday, April 15, 2013

Chapter 43 - BJ 'S Exodus Part 2





WHENEVER I FELT lost or frustrated with the Spoon, there was always good old Beej to wield his special brand of BS to make me feel better. I remember one time when BJ lived on Larrabee with Mike Sheehy and his girl Schotzie, a little ball of fire waitress from the Rainbow. He lived in the converted attic upstairs and you had to climb up a ladder through a small hole in the ceiling, which was also his floor, as Paul Simon said, “one man's ceiling is another man's floor”. It was around five or six in the morning, and I was pretty loaded. I didn't want to go back home so I went over to BJ’s. The front door was unlocked, and I gingerly snuck past the sleeping roommates climbed the ladder and woke up the Beej. He didn't mind even though he was sleeping with some gorgeous blonde and her knockout mother. It was a tag team. I sat down next to him and proceeded to call information which was the numbers 411. When the operator came on the line I asked her for the number of God. I guess I was putting on a pretty good show, I always loved a good prank, and I was pleading with her to connect me to God. I guess she must have thought that I was suicidal or something because I had her on the phone for more than an hour, I could see the sun's golden rays shining through the eastern window in the loft. BJ was laughing his ass off and so were the mother/daughter act. Unfortunately, I never did get that number—I guess it was unlisted.

      I guess I was always a little jealous of him for the way he could pick up women. Blair was the same way, but I later realized that I didn't want to be that guy. There was this model, Jean Manson that BJ was going out with, and I guess I fancied her, who wouldn't, she was beautiful and funny. There was this charity softball game in Griffith Park to benefit Viet Nam vets or something like that and we were invited to play in the game. Well as I said, I wanted to be a ball player, so this was a win-win situation for me. The game proceeded along nicely until the players started to drink a little too much beer and soon it turned into a football game. I knew I was in trouble at that point since some of the guys on the other team were huge, freaking monsters, but I stayed in the game trying to impress Jean. The ball was hiked, and I was on defense and this bearded goliath of a man with a football in his hand came running toward me. I stuck my right arm out like one would stick a toe in a cold pool of water and it bent the elbow backwards, not it's natural way of moving, and I knew I was hurt badly. It wasn't broken I found out later, but the ligaments were badly stretched and torn. I did get some attention from Jean later that day, but BJ went home with her. Moral? Never reach out for something that is not meant to be yours, like Jean Manson or the behemoth of a running back. It took me a few months to heal myself from that faux pas.

      To BJ, I was like his little brother, and he was the big brother I never had. Forgiveness is the name of that tune, but after a while I saw too many promises broken, too many lies told to women, to bill collectors, to everyone in general and it was taking its toll. He knew it was time, so he left LA and headed back home to Philadelphia with his tail between his legs. He was out of money and had exhausted all his connections. I guess BS can only go so far if there isn’t any substance behind it. It’s not that he wasn’t talented, he is a great singer and interpreter of a song but the promises he made to the plethora of people in Los Angeles never came to fruition. We did write a few great songs together especially one called Sequins and Rhinestones about how the glitter movement taking over the biz from the singer/songwriter. Even though I love artists like David Bowie, Iggy Pop and Ian Hunter, I didn’t like the direction that music had taken, and these artists were somewhat responsible for that—although I did wear those blue platform shoes with the stars on them but there was no way I was going to wear make-up, unless I was in a stage play or film.

      Anyway, BJ did have a place to go back to on Oakmont Drive in Philly where his elderly parents lived, and he felt it was time to pay them back for all the years they had taken care of him. He did wait on them hand and foot and it was a mitzvah, a good deed done. He changed his name to Brian Taylor and got signed to RCA Records and released a self-titled album in 1977 with a bunch of songs written by other competent writers. One song, Lovestruck was a catchy little ditty that did well in the local charts. In the back of his mind, BJ was charting his triumphant return to sunny California which would come to fruition a year later with his partner in crime, Walter Hallanan.

No comments:

Post a Comment