Monday, November 11, 2013

Chapter 11 – Fatherland/Poisoned in Paris




After a safe landing at Frankfurt International Airport I was waiting for my baggage at the turnstiles when I saw her. She had cut her hair and let it go back to her natural color—a honey blonde and she looked fantastic. She smiled that familiar crooked grin and waved at me from a distance of no more than twenty feet. The closer she got the more beautiful she appeared. It was more than two months since I had seen her last, when she and her mother, sister and baby Janelle had left. I could see Maria had come with another young girl who apparently had a car, but she had left Janelle at home, thinking she was too young and susceptible to strange germs one usually finds in airports after the flyers are confined to breathe the same stale air for hours on end.
Her family had a large A-frame house near the Black Forest in a small town about thirty miles east of Frankfurt by the name of Obertshausen.  It was a four bedroom house with a bonus room upstairs—like a loft where Maria and I slept in a rollaway bed and Janelle stayed in a crib on the warmest part of the room near the heating vent. I guess her step-parents were rather progressive or they thought that I was going to marry Maria therefore had no problem with our sharing the same bed. Hans, her stepfather, had a wine cellar in the basement and an assortment of every kind of Bavarian beer you could imagine. I was still bending the right elbow at the time and we shared a few choice brews as well as many other local types of liquor, much to my delight. It was very odd living in a house of strangers who thought that they had taken in the “token Jew” to their household. Suzanne had explained to me that when she was a little girl back in the early thirties she had joined the Nazi party. She said at first it was a lot fun, they would sing songs and have cookouts and campfires. Her mother said she never trusted Adolph Hitler at all—he reminded her of a used car salesman. She warned Suzanne that her association with the Nazi party was going to lead to big trouble. One day Suzanne noticed that one of her best friends, the daughter of a Jewish family, had suddenly vanished off the face of the earth. One day the family was living there a few doors down and the next day the house was empty without any forwarding address. Soon all the Jews in the small town were gone without a trace. Her mother said it was because of Hitler and his hatred for the Jews. Suzanne left the party soon after that.
Not only was Suzanne an ex-Nazi but she was a very active member of the Church of Scientology. Upstairs in her office (she was also a dentist, who reminded me of Laurence Olivier’s character, Szell, in Marathon Man) was her e-meter, originally known as the Hubbard Electrometer, is a device the Scientologists use to reflect or indicate whether or not a person has been relieved from spiritual impediment of past experiences. One evening at supper, I had asked her about her involvement in Scientology and expressed a curiosity about the e-meter. She asked me if I wanted to give it a try and me, being the kind of person who never backs down from a challenge or a new experience, decided to give it a go.
Her office looked like a shrine dedicated to everything L. Ron Hubbard. She had all his books on the shelf (even the weird science fiction ones) and literature in piles scattered about the room promoting the benefits of Dianetics, L. Ron Hubbard’s theory on which Scientology is based. I sat down on her office chair and she connected the wires from the e-meter to various parts of my body. I felt like Frankenstein’s monster getting ready to be re-animated and had to stifle a laugh looking at the primitive apparatus. It looked like something I might have constructed with my Erector Set when I was a kid. I could hear her humming and hawing behind me and it made me wonder what kind of readings she was getting. Was I going to pass the test? Would I have past life problems that would inhibit my relationship with her step-daughter?
She silently unhooked the wires from my body and I get up from the chair. “Well, did I pass the audition?” I asked.
“You did fine. It looks like you are a very old soul,” she said but I could tell she was holding something back.
“What do you mean, old soul?”
“You have had many past lives, hundreds and hundreds of them. If it is alright with you, I would like to take you down to the Center and have you tested by our leader.”
“Uh, well you see...” I didn’t really want to get into a whole rigmarole since I was only going to be in Germany for a limited time and Maria and I were booked to go to Paris by train in a couple of days. “I think I’ll pass on the invitation, if that’s all right with you.”
“Yes, of course. I only thought you might want to take it to the next level, only out of interest in the lives you might have led in the past.”
“I think I’ll concentrate on the life I’m living now, but thanks just the same.”
That night Maria and I went into town to a Chinese restaurant and sat in a booth behind an ornately carved wooden wall. There were all these L shaped patterns in the carvings and when I inspected them more closely I could see they were connecting Swastika’s. The food was good but I told Maria that I felt uncomfortable there and there was no way I was going to go anywhere near the ovens. We left before the fortune cookies arrived. I had had enough messages for one day, thank you very much.
Maria and I left Frankfurt on the train bound for Paris two days later. The scenery was beautiful—the snow covered Alsace Lorraine hills and valleys nearly took my breath away. We got a cheap bottle of wine and some German cold cuts for dinner and within a few hours I was feeling sick to my stomach. It felt like I was coming down with some kind of virus or flu, feeling weak and dizzy. Of all times to get sick, It was my first time in Paris—the city of lights. When we got off the train Maria had to help steady my slow and deliberate gait to the pharmacie, thinking they might have some medication that would help, or maybe they could direst me to a doctor—preferably one who spoke English. She said there was a fine physician in the next building. I staggered over there and to my chagrin the doors were locked. I looked at the directory and couldn’t figure out which one was the doctor the lady at the pharmacie had recommended. I told Maria to go back and get the name of the doctor while I leaned against the door. I saw a woman leaving the building so I waited for her to exit then I grabbed the door before it closed. I was now in the building but didn’t know much more than that. I walked into the first office I came to and sat down in the waiting room.
The receptionist didn’t speak any English so I did my best to communicate my situation to her. I thought I was going to pass out but managed to remember my basic French from high school. “Je suis tres mal,”  I said.
“O oui. Un moment,” she said.
After a few minutes I was directed to a room where the nurse had indicated for me to lie down and remove my shirt with hand signals. I could understand that much since taking off one’s clothes translated nicely in any language, so I complied. Soon a young doctor with a pencil thin mustache came into the room. Fortunately he spoke English and told me to lie back while he examined me. He took my blood pressure and stuck a thermometer in my mouth. I had a low grade fever, so he had ruled out some kind of influenza. Then he looked at my feet and could see they were swollen around the ankles.
“My friend,” he said. “You have food poisoning. What have you been eating?”
“I had some wine and cold cuts on the train from Germany,” I told him.
“Ah, the train. I wouldn’t have eaten anything those pigs serve on those trains. I always bring my own food. But, it is too late for that. I am going to give you some medication to help with your stomach cramps and diarrhea, but what you need is rest and to drink plenty of fluids. The sickness should pass within 12 to 24 hours.”
“Great! I am only in town for a couple of days. Isn’t there anything else you can give me to speed up the process?”
“I’m afraid not. The poison has to run its course.”
I left the office and saw Maria in the lobby. She was a little upset that I hadn’t told her where I was but she understood when I told her about the food poisoning. She was smart and had not eaten any of the salami or pepperoni and had luckily avoided the sickness.
We checked into the hotel somewhere near Notre Dame de Lorette but all I saw the first night was the view from the bathroom. The next morning I was feeling a little better but I was so nauseated with the thought of any type of rich food entering my system. That night I was able to eat some Spaghetti Bolognese; it was the only food I could digest without getting sick to my stomach. What a shame to be in one of the greatest culinary cities in the world and be limited to Spaghetti Bolognese. At least I could manage to down a couple of shots of the green fairy, Pernod Absinthe (the favorite drink of Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald), without giving it all back to the lavatorie—vivé la France.



No comments:

Post a Comment