Monday, November 18, 2013

Chapter 12 - New Year’s Eve in Sachsenhausen


It was New Years Eve in Germany, and in most of the world for that matter, and we wanted to celebrate. Hans and Suzanne were kind enough to let us out of the confines of Stalag 9, (the A-frame house in Obertshausen) for the evening and had even offered to babysit for Janelle, so we didn’t even have to hire some teenage friend of Maria’s who most likely wouldn’t be available because of the holiday. I bundled up with two sweaters and the leather jacket I had acquired in Paris and Maria was wearing two pairs of black tights, two jumpers, and a black and white poncho that reminded me of a road sign with its zigzag diagonal pattern. We drove her step-brother’s orange junkheap – an early 70’s Merkur that had rust holes in the floorboards so big that if you lifted up the mats you could stick your feet through and drag them on the road and stop the car like Fred Flintstone. At least the heater worked well.
The main street of Sachsenhausen is Schweizer Straße, a cosmopolitan boulevard with bars and two of Frankfurt's most traditional cider houses, Zum gemalten Haus and Wagner. Ciderhouses that produce their own Apfelwein (applewine) can be identified by the presence of a wreath of evergreen branches hanging outside the location or a similar image included on their signpost. The Textorstraße and the old town or Altstadt have the best known ciderhouses in Frankfurt, but such pubs can be found all over southern Hesse. We parked the holy roller or Orange Crush on the outskirts of town and immediately bought a few cups the scalding hot beverage in one of the ciderhouses then headed to the bars on Schweizer Straße in the American sector where US soldiers would frequent because the bands played the hits of the 60’s and 70’s from back home which was beginning to make me feel homesick.
In the first nightclub called simply, The English Pub (pictured), the band was playing a cover of the recent hit by Tina Turner, What’s Love Got To Do With It and we bellied up to hand carved wooden bar where two obese German’s who both looked like Sgt. Schultz from Hogan’s Heroes, were drinking and shouting at each other in strident tones. I thought that any minute a fight was going to break out between them but Maria assured me that was the way they always acted and there was no need to worry. I ordered a local beer that was served in a two foot high, beveled glass mug and proceeded to get pleasantly plastered while Maria stuck to the Apfelwein not wanting to mix her alcoholic intake. I, being a professional drinker, had no qualms about mixing my booze but I was out of my element and should have followed her lead on that one. After about an hour of listening to everything from Credence Clearwater’s Fortunate Son to Don McLean’s American Pie (a favorite in these parts), we decided it was time to venture on. She wanted to go to a disco and do a little dancing, which is not my forte, but it was New Years Eve and I was fairly wasted so I agreed to go, even if I resembled a drunken orangutan when I danced—I could only imagine how ridiculous I was going to look being three sheets to the wind. Maybe it would improve my skills?
We wandered into a club that was packed tighter than a sardine can with people from all over the world. I could hear French, German, Dutch, Italian and Russian being spoken and we hadn’t even made it to the dance floor yet. Of course there was a giant mirrored disco ball hanging from the ceiling reflecting the blue and red lights which was not helping in my state of inebriation. I went to the bathroom thinking I may throw up but only leaned over the toilet seat hyperventilating. I staggered over to the sink, washed my face and hands and then pulled myself up by the bootstraps and rejoined the festivities. What I needed was a shot of Pernod to set me right. Ever since Paris it was the only drink that would settle my stomach and after a few sips I was back to abnormal. When I came back from the bar I saw Maria speaking with this French dude clad in black leather. It was obvious he was “chatting” her up and when he realized I was with her he offered us a peace pipe in reconciliation. He said it was hashish from Afghanistan and it was very strong and advised us to only take one hit. We did. Oh my God, the room was spinning like a centrifuge. I felt like I was on one of those circular rides where you lean against the inner wall and then the floor drops away while you spin faster and faster. I always hated those rides.
After midnight rolled around, and it was now 1985 we were too wasted to notice but knew something must have happened when the room exploded with cries of Happy New Year in at least ten different languages. I turned around to kiss her and saw that she was slumped down on the floor looking like a ragdoll or a marionette with its strings cut. I propped her up in the corner so she wouldn’t get trampled to death then I stumbled and weaved my way to the bar and got two large glasses of water. It seemed to help but Maria was feeling claustrophobic and had to get out of the crowded club. Somehow I managed to regain the balance to help her up from the floor and led her out to the frozen street below. We were lost.
“Where the hell is the car?” I shouted. She just gave me a blank look.
“I don’t fucking know,” she said as I threw up my hands and paced back and forth.
“This is your town, you should know better than me. C’mon Maria think.”
She started to cry. “Oh that’s really going to help,” I said as I tried to think.
“We parked on Schweizer, didn’t we?”
“I think so, but I’m all turned around. We shouldn’t have smoked that hash. I can’t think straight and I’m freezing my ass off.”
“The best thing to do is wait until later when the crowds thin out and that orange beast will stick out like a sore thumb. Come on lets go get some coffee.”
“Okay, yah...”
We weaved our way through the crowded street and found an all night restaurant a few blocks away. It wasn’t a Denny’s or a Waffle House but the coffee was hot and they were serving breakfast. I ordered some eggs over easy and she had some toast. After an hour or so we started to come back to the planet Earth. At around three in the morning we paid the bill and thought about venturing on to find the Orange Crush. The snow was almost blinding and we couldn’t see ten feet in front of us.
“Maybe we should get a hotel room?” I asked.
“There won’t be anything...it’s New Years’. Remember?”
She began to cry again so I hugged her and tried to reassure her that we were going to be okay. We went back into the restaurant and sat in by the fire waiting until the snow let up—if it ever would. At least we were warm and cozy and I didn’t know about her but I wasn’t high anymore. After an hour or so we noticed the snow was dissipating so we gathered ourselves up and went outside. We couldn’t believe what we saw. The Orange Crush was right across the street half covered in snow. We looked at each other and then looked at the junkheap and then back at each other again then laughed hysterically. We were saved. After scraping the ice off the windshield we climbed inside and it fired the beast up. It might not have been the best looking car in the world but at that moment it was a Rolls Royce or a Jaguar. The heat worked and that was a good thing—a very good thing. If this was any indication of how 1985 was going to be, I knew it was going to be a bumpy ride. I had no idea at the time how right I was going to be.







No comments:

Post a Comment