Monday, October 6, 2014

Chapter 54 – Field Recordings



It ain’t classical, it ain’t blues
But baby needs a new pair of shoes
Ain’t too short or too long – this song.
It ain’t positive, it ain’t dark
It might ignite a spark
It may not hit the charts – I still like itThis Song by JWH from the album - “Field Recordings”.


At the end of my first record, See You Around, I had taken the leap into the state of the art realm of music production—Protools. Of course, all I could afford was the minimal version called the M Box. My good friend, Chas Sandford, had been goading me to get into the twenty-first century with my recording equipment, after all, he had the best and most expensive version of Protools, all the plug-ins under God’s little sun patched into every conceivable module of vintage and current gear. That’s why I called him Mr. Accessory. I purchased a Studiomaster console from him that once belonged to his late brother, Richard, bought a Blue microphone and now I was all set to begin my second project, Field Recordings, which would be my first completely digital record.
From 1937 to 1942, Alan Lomax was Assistant in Charge of the Archive of Folk Song of the Library of Congress to which he and his father and numerous collaborators contributed more than ten thousand field recordings. He would go down to places like Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee and capture recordings in a “field” of some of the most renown blues and folk artist of the era. People such as Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie, Sonny Terry, Pete Seeger and many other too numerous to mention. I thought by naming my record Field Recordings, not only would it be a nod to the great Alan Lomax, but it would describe the simplistic approach I was trying to capture in the record. I hope I succeeded. I think I did.
It was difficult at first to point and click my way through the mixing board on the computer monitor (I had always preferred a hand’s on approach) but the trade-off of having a plethora of tracks at my disposal was well worth the learning curve I had to navigate. With more than twenty new songs to choose from I picked the best ones, in my opinion, and the ones that seemed to complement each other. I ended up with only nine, but the last song, Monday Morning Memory is eight minutes and thirty-two seconds. It is a stream of conscious rant about a typical Monday in the life of James Wesley Haymer.  Once again I played all the instruments and sang all the vocal parts on all the songs on this album. It’s not that I’m opposed to a band; it just was so hard to get people down to Thompson Station at the strange hours I’d like to record.

There was this new website on the internet called Fame Games. It was an online musical artist competition. You would upload your song and submit it in the various categories they had available. I did quite well and voted the top artist in the folk/rock category a few times. It was a great boost for my ego as well as giving some exposure to fans etc. that would have never had a chance to hear my music. It’s a shame they are no longer in business. I turned a few of my friends onto that site and one of them was the infamous Sunset Slim.

Slim is a character right out of a Damon Runyon novel—the original rambling-gambling man. I hadn’t seen him in thirty years until a friend, Bruce Bradley, a waiter at Mario’s, ran into a guy that blew his mind and he began to tell me the story. He came in to the restaurant dressed in a top hat and tails with a young beauty in a Kill Bill, Uma Thurman wig. Slim was telling Bruce how he just got back from Vegas and was in the running for the World Series of Poker. He was flashing hundreds and ordering the most expensive things on the menu. He gave Bruce and exorbitant tip, which made his whole week. The next week he told me about this eccentric guy when we were playing golf at Harpeth Hills. He described Slim to a T and I knew that I knew the guy. It could only be one person. In the seventies, I worked with a guy named Bobby Paine in a boiler room selling toner and office supplies. He was a character then and after work he said he was recording a county record. I told him I played guitar and keyboards and he told me to come down to the session. I played a cool Hammond B-3 part on a song called Honky-tonk Hell and he gave me a crisp hundred dollar bill for my efforts.
I told Bruce the next time the guy came into the restaurant to give him my number. I got a call a few days later and I knew it was him. Who else could it be? He was living in Nashville now with Jeannie, the girl from the restaurant who is at least thirty years his junior. Not too bad. I never knew that Slim and I had so much in common (my wife is 12 years younger than me.) Not only is he a talented singer/songwriter whose songs are a real throwback to the days when country music was real and the songs were about trains, card games, heavy drinking and cheating (his pictured album All Bets Are Off is really worth a listen), he is a very accomplished golfer. Now we play music and gold together (more golf than music these days). We have a bet called a Nassau where the winner of the front nine gets five bucks, the winner of the back nine also gets five and if you win the overall score it’s another fiver. We usually end up with the same score (somewhere in the mid to high seventies). Slim always wears the most expensive golf outfits and sometimes they are, well let me just say, they are a statement. I once asked Jim, the starter for Greystone Golf Club (a place we frequent) if Slim had arrived yet. Jim rolled his eyes and said. “Oh yeah, you can’t miss him.” He was right. Slim was wearing yellow and green paisley long pants (I’ve never seen the guy wear shorts even on 90-100 degree days) and a purple silk shirt with some outrageous chapeaux on his head to compliment the get-up. I think he dressed like that to distract his opponents. I can testify that it works. You could write a book about the guy and someday I might just do that. I did write a song called The Ballad of Sunset Slim, and it got some play on Fame Games.
Another track on Field Recordings called For Elise, is a bluesy/folk version of Beethoven’s Für Elise (who I give co-writing credit). It contains some Hamlet inspired lyrics. From the exposure on Fame Games, I (after sending out hundreds of CDs) got lots of airplay in Europe, Australia and even the good ole USA. I thought things were finally going in the right direction in my career again.
Here is a sample of the lyrics some in For Elise:
Someone call an ambulance, forget man you’d better call a priest.
Guess I got to get it off my mind then I’ll go in peace.
You know that there was poison in wine just look in my valise.
Everything I did, I did for love and for Elise.
Go to - http://www.reverbnation.com/q/55ubwp to hear these tunes.



No comments:

Post a Comment