Monday, October 13, 2014

Chapter 55 – Man o’ Americana



In late December 2004, the Tennessee Haymers made their way back to Scotland. It would be the first time my children and me would ever experience the old country in the winter. I knew Christmas would be a blast . . . and the New Year . . . who knew what that would be like, except there would be a lot of drinking, hugging, kissing, and general tomfoolery. I even was crazy enough to bring my golf clubs—I wasn’t about to go to the home of golf without them. On one of the warmer days (about 40 degrees) I went down to Thornton Golf Course while Donna and the boys were at an aquarium called Deep Sea world in Queensferry near Edinburgh. I was at my own amusement park. The weather was cold but I dressed in layers (it was hard to swing the club around all that clothing but I managed). The course was beautiful and challenging but the management wouldn’t allow anyone to hit off the fairways without placing the ball on these little plastic mats, 8”-by- 3”. It thought it was ridiculous but I guess they did it to preserve their grass since a divot wouldn’t grow back until spring. I could see their point. I made sure to hit the ball in the first cut of roughs so I could avoid the stupid mats. It worked out well.
My instincts about New Years Eve was right on the money. They have a tradition called first footin’ where at the stroke of midnight everyone goes outside and knocks on all the neighbors doors with a bottle of whiskey, lager or whatever and the true craziness really begins. I was a bit more than six years sober, so I didn’t partake in that part of the festivities, but I got to see the locals make fun-loving fools of themselves. Because they were all drunk, everyone assumed I was as drunk as they were. It was hilarious to be the only sober person among fifty or more staggering Scots. It was a great trip but Donna and I knew with three children now, it was going to be awhile since we could afford to head back over there. I haven’t been back since and, I must say, I really miss it—especially the golf and the wild assortment of characters— but the local food . . . well (except for the Indian restaurants which are some of the best in the world) I can leave that alone.
We were back in America in the beginning of January and with six months left go until Jonathan’s Bar Mitzvah at the end of June we were all beginning to sweat from nerves, apprehension and plain old exhaustion. The only one that was keeping it together was Jonathan. He’d only been studying Hebrew for a little over a year and was doing amazingly. I don’t know how he could learn such a difficult language so easily, but I guess that’s where his aptitude lies. When I first asked Jonathan why he wanted to be Bar Mitzvah, a year back he said, “Dad, I want to do something meaningful with my life and learn about my Jewish heritage.” How could I argue with that? I remember my main motivation when I was thirteen was the money, and the party. What a great kid!
On the morning of June 25, 2005 all the relatives were wandering in to the temple. Donna’s Mom and Dad, and her baby sister, Heather, had come from Scotland. My Uncle Ellis and Aunt Enid, my sister, Susan, brother, Robbie and his two almost grown kids, Max and Emily, my Cousin Richard and his wife, Sue and their daughter, Amanda who is three whole days younger than Jonathan all made it in from California. The Amazon woman, Vange, her husband Howard and I think eight of their soon to be ten children had arrived, the only one who was late was the photographer, Holly, but she made it ten minutes before the shebang clicked into gear. I got to say Jonathan was a star that day and I was so proud of him I could have plotzed right then and there.
On the musical front, I was sending out my record, Field Recordings to radio stations all over the world getting contacts from the Indie Bible, resource and reference book that lived up to its name. Radio stations were actually playing my songs in places like Germany, Britain, Australia, France, Holland, Denmark, Japan and the good old USA. I had the playlists to prove it. I felt like I was back on the map again, and hadn’t felt that way since Silverspoon was recording at The Record Plant with Mal Evans and Bob Merritt, not to mention the Keith Moon record soon after that. The reviews I got were very promising. Lord Litter, one of Germany’s top deejays wrote to me saying, “Very cool “reduced” music—I will definitely play.” Gerd Strassen, also from Germany’s “Ems-Vechte Welle radio FM 95.6 said, “Thank you so much for sending me “Field Recordings” I really enjoyed it. My faves are Making Ground, Eternity’s Waltz, This Song, followed by Experimenting Peace and Monday Morning Memory.” Not bad, I thought, that’s more than half the record.
I thought the overall best review was from Eddie Russell, a deejay in Texas. He said, “Greetings James . . . my goodness . . . . I sure enjoyed my initial review of your pure rootsy CD Field Recordings yesterday . . . where all holds together on the whole with staggering magnitude. Thanks again for the great inspiration due to your job well done . . . . Eddie.”
Eddie was instrumental in referring me to a plethora of the afore mentioned radio stations and I only hope that he is still around somewhere spinning those CD’s or MP3s.
With momentum moving in a positive direction, I knew I needed a band. I began auditioning bass players, drummers and second guitarist from ads I found on Craigslist. My ad was fairly specific and the responses well received. My routine was this: I would meet the prospective band members at the closest Starbucks and give them a CD and I would accept any CD’s, tapes or links to music they played on. We would feel each other out and if we were still interested in taking it the next step, we would get together and play. The whole process took a little more than a month and by the end of the summer I had a four piece band. It was Josh Fuson on drums, Greg (It’s a Wonderful Life) Bailey on bass, and Grant (Big Smoky) Johnson on second guitar and pedal steel.
There was a new venue called Americana Tonight hosted by Mark Wehrner to be held at Douglas Corner in Nashville on November 11th (see picture. Notice how my middle name is spelled W$esley). It was a major showcase in Nashville for up-and-coming acts in the genre. We rehearsed in my living room for a couple of weeks and ended up doing five songs. It was pretty darn tight and we got a great reaction. Soon after that I booked a gig at a local club in Franklin called Kimbro’s where we played once a month on Friday nights for about six months. In the meantime, I was inspired to write and I had nearly twenty-five new songs to record. With the radio stations playing my songs and a new band I had ideas of booking gigs oversees and I was making inquiries to get going in that arena. I thought it was time to make a new record now with three CDs under my belt, there would be an arsenal that nobody in his or her right mind could turn down; at least that’s what I thought. Time would tell.
The biggest stumbling block was money. Nashville, (like Los Angeles and New York) is an impossible place to make a living playing music unless you’re playing the big venues. Everyone wants you to play for free and if you complain about it, the club owners tell you to get lost since plenty of kids are lining up around the block to have their music heard. I still had to pay my band members and the only way to do that was to sell CDs or with tips. But how many CDs can you sell if only ten or twenty patrons show up at the gig? Frustrating business! I needed something magical to happen, but it seemed like I had used all the alchemy I was able to conjure when I was in Silverspoon. I mean things were going okay, but I felt like I was all alone in a strange town that really didn’t get me, not like they did when I was In LA, or maybe it was because I was younger then and everything seemed fresh and there always somebody around willing to promote, wine and dine and dole out the powdered refreshments. I just wasn’t there anymore and I was relatively sober (except for a few joints once in a while). It was all about the money now and if you had a young band and could write songs about sexy, redneck girls drinking beer on the tailgate of their pick-up trucks you stood a chance. What’s an old man o’ Americana gonna do?

No comments:

Post a Comment